In order to work overseas, Filipinos must obtain an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) provided by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). Simply, OEC meaning is a certificate to work aboard. In this article, we take a closer look at the OEC Online Appointment, including its application process, requirements, exemption, and more.
- What is OEC?
- How do I Apply for the OEC Online Appointment?
- How do I apply for an OEC in Dubai?
- Who is eligible for an OEC exemption?
What is OEC?
Simply, the OEC is a document that OFWs must obtain in order to leave the country legally and find employment overseas. OECs serve as proof that the holder is protected by the Philippine government and has been properly documented.
Additionally, OEC holders are exempt from certain airport fees and taxes. This allows OFWs to lower the total costs associated with securing employment opportunities overseas.
Validity of OEC
There is only one exit allowed for every OEC issued. In other words, every time an OFW leaves the Philippines, a new OEC is required. The OEC is valid for 60 days after the date of issuance. OECs issued by the Labor Assistance Counter (LAC) at the NAIA, Cebu-Mactan, or Davao International Airport are valid for one day only.
What Are The Requirements of OEC?
The basic OEC requirements are as follows:
- Printed online appointment information sheet/Balik-Manggagawa
- Information sheet
- Passport (valid for at least six months) from departure date
- Valid proof of employment or employment contract
- Valid work visa, work permit, or any equivalent document
Note: Depending on the destination country there may be additional required documents.
Read More: How To Register MandaTrack App QR Code?
How do I Apply for the OEC Online Appointment?
OFWs such as domestic workers, medical workers, construction workers, and others will need an OEC when leaving the Philippines. The application process for bm online OEC exemption 2022 is as follows:
Register for the Balik Manggagawa
To access the Balik Manggagawa (BM) processing system, OFWs must first register at the POEA online portal. In addition to your resume/CV, you will need to provide personal information, experience, and education.
You can begin your OEC application on the POEA online portal, regardless of whether it is your first or subsequent application. For your application to be processed, you will need to settle processing fees.
Schedule Your OEC Online Appointment
After successfully creating your Balik Manggagawa OEC online account, you will be directed to the nearest POEA/POLO BM-OEC service office. Select from the available appointment schedule to book an OEC online appointment Philippines.
Attend the Appointment
Must complete the OEC requirements and bring the following required documents on the appointment date.
- Appointment sheet (2 copies)
- Employment contract (notarized)
- Work visa (the original plus 2 copies)
- Philippine passport (the original plus 2 copies)
- OWWA membership fee receipt
How do I apply for an OEC in Dubai?
OFWs who plan to return to their employment after a short vacation to the Philippines also need the OEC. If you’re an OFW based in Dubai, make sure you have all the necessary documents before setting up an appointment.
OEC In Dubai Document Requirements
- Your passport
- BM online appointment sheet (3 copies)
- Flight details
- POLO verified the contract. This applies to those who have yet to register with POEA and plan to return to the same employer in the UAE
- A copy of your past OEC and visa. This applies to those planning to return to the same employer
As soon as you have collected all the required documents, proceed to apply for your poea online appointment.
- Log in to your existing account on POEA online portal
- Now select ‘Acquire OEC’ and schedule an appointment
- Gather all the required documents and attend your appointment
Who is eligible for an OEC exemption?
Some OFW categories are exempt from having to obtain an OEC due to OEC exemption. The exemption applies to OFWs who:
- have an employment visa or work permit
- have served or are serving their employment contract
- are returning to the same employer, returning to the same job site, and are recorded in the POEA database
Applying for an OEC Exemption
Follow the steps below to apply for an OEC exemption if you are eligible.
OEC Exemption For new users
- Visit the POEA online portal.
- Select the option ‘Let’s Go’ under e-Registration.
- Now click on the ‘Register’ button.
- Fill out the form.
For existing users:
- Log in to POEA online portal
- Update your personal data, contract particulars, and beneficiaries, then select Balik Manggagawa for online assessment
- Provide your flight date and confirm if you are returning to the same employer and job site
If everything is in order, you will be prompted a confirmation message stating that you are exempted from having to obtain an OEC as well as payment and processing fee.
We hope the above guide is very helpful for those who are looking for bm online OEC exemption. We have clearly described how to get OEC in the above article. If you still have any question about the above topic you can ask us in the comments.